ECA Ray Hart Memorial Award
The Environmental Consultants Association Ray Hart Memorial Award was created in 2004 to perpetuate the memory of Dr Ray Hart who was a graduate of the University of Western Australia (UWA) and the founding President of the Environmental Consultants Association (WA) Inc (ECA). An initial sum of $40,000 was donated to The University to establish a fund to provide an award in memory of Ray who worked as a consultant ecologist and environmental scientist. Dr Hart’s work covered all aspects of flora, vegetation and fauna ecology and his focus was always to achieve sound environmental management through the integration of environmental principles in projects. The Environmental Consultants Association (ECA) maintains a strong interest in supporting this award.
Selection is based on a set of criteria developed to reflect some of the principles Ray felt were important in maintaining and developing the skills and ethos necessary for management of the Australian bush that was both his work and his passion. Listed below are the requirements set by the selection committee;
- Applicant enrolled in a course offered by the Faculty of Science; and
- Undertaking honours or postgraduate studies; and
- Undertaking research that includes a substantial field component and displays a multidisciplinary approach to an ecological question.
- A commitment to developing skills in field ecological research;
- A strong work ethic;
- A commitment to apply field research to achieve a broad and pragmatic insight into interdisciplinary ecological studies, as evidenced by the applicant’s research proposal;
- Enthusiasm and commitment to communicate with peers and the wider community; and
- A research proposal that will deliver useful information for biodiversity management and protection in WA