Ian has over 30 years of experience in ecological investigations, research and consulting studies of marine systems in all mainland Australian States, the Northern Territory, Torres Straits, New Zealand, New Caledonia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia and the Arabian Gulf.
Through his work as a consultant to industry and to regulators, he has acquired extensive knowledge of environmental approvals requirements across multiple Commonwealth and State/Territory jurisdictions for petroleum, dredging and other coastal and offshore developments.
His overseas work has fostered a clear understanding of international requirements (e.g. IFC Performance Standards) for major projects.
Ian is the former leader of one of the longest-lived specialist marine and coastal environmental services teams in Western Australia and led the marine environmental teams engaged to obtain approvals for some of the largest petroleum development projects in northern Australia.
In 2016, he established SEAPEN Marine Environmental Services to extend his services to the broader consulting community and their clients.
Experience practicing in:
- Strategic environmental advice and direction
- Peer review and professional editing
- Marine ecology and biogeography
- Site selection and options analysis
- Environmental scoping and gaps analysis
- Environmental impact assessment
- Ecological risk assessment
- Environmental management plans
- Marine monitoring programmes
- Contaminant assessment and monitoring
- Team leadership and mentoring
- Performance appraisal and career planning
General Services ? View service descriptions
BSc (Zoology) The University of Western Australia
MSc (Marine Biology) James Cook University of North Queensland