Thomas de Silva
I have extensive experience working in the environmental sector, including my current position as an aquatic scientist at Stantec specialising in salt lake ecology and 4 years at Wetland Research and Management as an Environmental Consultant for freshwater ecology. I have also worked as a Research Assistant at the University of Western Australia (UWA) in marine biology. I have conducted research and analysis on a variety of projects in the mining sector for BHP, Rio Tinto, Gold Fields and Ok Tedi Mining Limited, and for Murdoch University and UWA. I have been attached to many projects and prioritise sound scientific methods, achievable targets, and safety above all else.
Experience practicing in:
- Aquatic monitoring of fish and macroinvertebrate species.
- Algal bloom monitoring using transects over a typical bloom period.
- Freshwater Macroinvertebrate Identification to species level in ephemeroptera, hemiptera, tricoptera and odonata.
- Multivariate analysis to identify significant trends from collected data
- Shorebird ecology in how to handle, understand and identify shorebirds found in the Roebuck Bay mudflats of Western Australia
- Marine Macroinvertebrate Identification to species level in polychaetes, crustacea, sipuncula and ateroidea
Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety – BSB41415 – Online Course – Inspire Education (in progress)
Global Environmental Education – GOC-101: Online Course – Certificate of Achievement
Reclaiming Broken Places: Introduction to Civic Ecology- ENVSCI1500X: Online Course – Certificate of
White Card Permit (CPCCOHS1001A) – Inscope Training 2016
Asbestos Awareness – Inscope Training 2016
Snake Handling Course – Bob Cooper’s Survival School
DTEC RAC 4WD Courses - Rio Tinto
Health, Safety & Environment Course – Rio Tinto
Advanced Fire and Rescue Training Course - Royal Australian Navy
Fatigue Management Course – Rio Tinto
Senior First Aid Course – Royal Australian Navy
PADI Open Water License
SSI Advance Adventurer License
Achieved Negative Vetting 1 (NV1) on the 25th of July 2016. Valid until 1st of April 2018.
National Police Clearance – Royal Australian Navy
C-Class Manual Victorian Driver’s License